Sunday 4 September 2022

Review: Pulling the Wings Off Angels

Pulling the Wings Off Angels Pulling the Wings Off Angels by K.J. Parker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I could not put this down from the moment I picked it up. I rarely have that kind of reaction to a story in the first page, but there we are, and I finished it in record time. And the only thing that made me sad was that I finished it when I did, and realised I had no more pages left to read.

The story is told by a seminary student who is forced to look into a family legend about his Grandfather breaking the wings of an angel. The main character believes this false, but goes along with it to appease the mobster who he goes a lot of money too. It is set in a different land, though it had striking parallels to our own world in certain things which makes the narrative flow easily.

I found it hard to like the main character, all through the book, and at no point did I really feel sorry for him. While he may want to go good, it is mainly for all the wrong reasons, and that is one of the focuses of the story. It is all bound up in talk of religion, but at no point is it about if religion is good or bad, just more the moral choices we make and why we make them.

It is a clever piece of writing, and I would suggest reading it between other larger books, as a bity of a brain refresher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Madness of Gods

The Madness of Gods by R.S. Moule My rating: 5 of 5 stars View all my reviews