Sunday 4 September 2022

Review: Nothing But Blackened Teeth

Nothing But Blackened Teeth Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was and was not what I was expecting.

I was hoping for a good spooky, scare the pants off me, Japanese horror, which I kind of got a little flashed at me towards the end, but what I found was this book was more about the savagery of human nature, not to mention the way male entitlement can really fuck everyone up.

The main character, whose PoV the book is told through, as been through some serious emotional and mental health issues. Some brought on by her "friends" and some just through the world around her. One thing I hated from the word go was how one of the men (they had obviously had some kind of romantic history) kept apologising, asking for forgiveness so she could alleviate him of guilt to make him feel better at her own expense. Once of the best lines in the book was "but apologies dont exonerate the sinner, only compelled graciousness from its recipient." And for me, that summed up most of the book.

For the most part I did enjoy it, but I felt like the ending was rushed, that it could have had a little more spooky ghosty activity, though really that was not what the book was ultimately about.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Madness of Gods

The Madness of Gods by R.S. Moule My rating: 5 of 5 stars View all my reviews