Saturday 13 August 2022

Review: The Vanishing

The Vanishing The Vanishing by David Michael Slater
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh wow, I seriously do not know where to start with this book. Except wow.

This book captivated me from the word go with our main character Sophie, from who's point of view the book is told. She is an eleven year old German Jew, who at the start of the book is more concerned about being named top student than she is being pulled from class. This is where her troubles, due to her religious beliefs start. She see's the decline in her family, before a tragedy hits and she suddenly turns invisible. From that moment on she spends her time trying to keep her best friend Giddy safe, and help the Jewish community that is being persecuted. Her journey takes her from the Slums, to a Concentration Camp and beyond, all trying to keep her friend safe with her amazing invisible powers.

The writing of this book captured me straight away, and even though it is coming from a child's perspective (which was quite believable) it was not dumbed down or made ridiculous in any way. The detail of the period was captured flawlessly, as well as the details of the Jewish faith was are transferred over, which gives a nice segway for those who do not know much about the religion. I can see the author has worked hard to try and not be insensitive on such a delicate subject, or be insulting to any who had family who lived through that terrible period of history. I think he has done a very good job in this, and I hope people do not dismiss the book simply on its subject matter without reading it.

This book takes you on a terrible and wonderful journey, where the best and worst in humanity are shown, where consequences to actions are seen, and a little girl grows up alone and yet surrounded by those she wants to help. A beautiful book that made me weep tears of both joy and sorrow, as I could do nothing but cheer Sophie, an Angel, on in her journey.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Madness of Gods

The Madness of Gods by R.S. Moule My rating: 5 of 5 stars View all my reviews