Wednesday 31 August 2022

Review: The Cloisters: The Secret History for a new generation

The Cloisters: The Secret History for a new generation The Cloisters: The Secret History for a new generation by Katy Hays
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I will admit that this book caught me straight away, which is strange as I am not always fond of a first person narrative. But the voice of Ann slipped into my head, and I found myself compelled to read the book to find out exactly what was going to happen to her. And I was so pulled in by this book that I finished it in one sitting, and found myself more than a little shocked once it was over.

The book is set in the Cloisters, a part of the Met Museum, though built to look like a fifteen century Cloister. The way the author describes the building, with such love and care, it really does put you there, in the galleries and libraries. It was beautifully written, atmospheric in all the right ways. And while there are hints of the supernatural in the tarot card readings, and the feelings that Ann has can be seen as either divine providence or the character simply seeing what she wants to see.

I highly recommend this book, it is a beautifully dark, twisty-turny tale who takes you through the past and present, and showing the depths that people will sink to, to succeed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Madness of Gods

The Madness of Gods by R.S. Moule My rating: 5 of 5 stars View all my reviews